Friday 20 April 2012

love your skin



As a teenager, my skin flared with spots around the age of 16 and I battled to keep it under control until I went onto some pretty hardcore medication called Roaccutane. While my skin got worse before it got better, it was the only thing that worked for me. I lived virtually zit-free for a decade until I hit my late twenties. I went through some stressful and and difficult changes in my life and it all came out in the form of the delightful and most unattractive, adult acne.

While all this bad stuff was happening, I couldn't understand why I had been hit with the ugly stick. Why me - again? What have I done to deserve this? So I started to look at alternative medicine. I figured there must be another way to get it under control - other than taking the Pill, taking drugs, applying all these lotions and potions. So I started seeing a Chinese herbalist and acupuncturist. I found the whole process really interesting and it made me think a lot about my body, what I put into it, how it functions and how I can help myself by changing eating habits, etc. I also had to take some pretty disgusting herbs and it was like a big detox, but somehow I felt like it was doing me good. 

After a year, I had seen some improvement but I still had nasty breakouts. I decided that I had given this holistic approach a red-hot crack, but it just wasn't working. I knew that I had explored all the options and tried the natural approach. So I was at peace when I decided to go and see my GP, ask for a referral to a Dermatologist and go back on Roaccutane. I have to say, I was quite hesitant to start with but I knew I had to do this for myself. It was affecting my self confidence, I hated the way I looked, I was embarrassed to see anyone.

After 9 months of treatment, I have completed the course and I am cured! I haven't had a breakout in over 6 months (touch wood), my skin is consistently clear and I am so thrilled with the results. Finally, at the ripe old age of 30, I can say that I am pretty darn happy with the way my skin looks.

I have spent a lot of time, money and effort on my skin over the years. But I have realised how important it is to love your skin. No, it's not always perfect - I still bare the scars which serve as a constant reminder. But I am so grateful that finally, I can wake up every morning and a feel confident - my skin is clear.

~ love some help 


No comments:

Post a Comment